This introductory level, 15-hour sex therapy training program is designed for professionals interested in gaining a deeper understanding of sex therapy including etiology, assessment, diagnosis, treatment protocols, and strategies for healthy sex and sexuality. This course offers 15 CEs for the following licensures and certifications: LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, LEPs, Psychologists, AASECT, and IITAP. Dr. Katehakis is a certified sexologist and certified sex therapist. She is the owner and clinical director of Center for Healthy Sex and has 20 years of experience in the field of sexual health. This workshop is co-sponsored by Center for Healthy Sex.
Mental Health Practitioners, Licensed Social Workers (LSW), Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW), Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT), Psychologists, Psychiatrist, Medical Doctors (MD), Certified Addiction Counselors, AASECT Professionals
Sex Therapy Training - Introductory
15 CE Hours
- Discuss the basic concepts of sex therapy and common treatment models.
- Describe the physiology of orgasm and the erectile network.
- Explain the spectrums associated with gender identity, orientation, and sexual expression.
- Identify assessment techniques to diagnose clients presenting with common sexual concerns.
- Describe treatment directives for common sexual dysfunctions.
- Discuss errors to avoid when practicing sex therapy.
- Explain how to manage countertransference issues that may arise during sex therapy.
- Explain the importance of ethnic and cultural diversity training for clinicians practicing sex therapy.
- Identify how common medical problems impact sexual health.
- Describe how frequently used medications can impact sexual health.
- Explain how commitment and marriage affect sexuality.
- Identify how pregnancy, labor, and parenthood affect sexuality.
- Discuss how sexuality is affected by aging.
- Explain sexual trauma repetition and corrective sexual experiences.
- Describe paraphilia and paraphilic disorders.
8:30 am – 5:00 pm Friday and Saturday (Lunch included)
8:30 am-10:00 am Class/ 10:00 am-10:15 am Break
12:00 pm-12:30 pm lunch/ 12:30 pm-3:00 pm Class
3:00 pm-3:15 pm Break/ 3:15 pm-5:00 pm Class
Lunch provided Friday - Saturday
Hotel and Transportation Information:
Hilton Arlington, VA
950 North Stafford Street
Arlington, VA 22203
Phone Number: (703) 528-6000
Room Rate: $159 for Single / $179 for Double Occupancy Plus Applicable Taxes (Please mention IITAP in order to get the special group rate)
Hotel Booking Link
All candidates are responsible for getting themselves from the airport they flew into to the hotel they are staying at and back to the airport at the end of the training. Transfers are not provided by the group hotel. The distance from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) to the Hilton Arlington, VA Hotel (Group Hotel) is roughly a 6.5 mile drive and 15-minute transfer depending on the time of day. I would suggest taking Taxi Cabs/Lyft/Uber to get to/from the airport to the group hotel.
Parking at the Hilton in Arlington, VA is $10/day.
$750.00 USD Standard Registration Rate
For a full refund, a written cancellation notice must be received by IITAP no later than 30 days prior to the scheduled event. Cancellations received less than 30 days prior to the scheduled event will be refunded less a $300 cancellation fee. No refund will be given as of the first day of the scheduled event. Allow 6 - 8 weeks for refund.
CE Hours and Accrediting Institutions:
15 CE Hours
The International Institute for Trauma & Addiction Professionals (IITAP) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. IITAP maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Course meets criteria for 15 hours of continuing education credit hours for psychologists.
IITAP is an Approved Continuing Education provider (ACEP) for the following agencies:
- National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors – NAADAC #92253.
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists – CAMFT #13543.
- New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0224.
- New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists.#MFT-0031.
- New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors.#MHC-0060.
- IITAP has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6251. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. IITAP is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
This program meets the requirements of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT) and is approved for 15 CE credits. These CE credits may be applied toward AASECT certification and renewal of certification. Completion of this program does not ensure or guarantee AASECT certification. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How AASECT certificates will be awarded: AASECT certificates will be provided via email by Center for Healthy Sex upon completion of the program and an evaluation form.
Faculty conflict of interest statement can be found at https://iitap.com/page/faculty.
For questions, accommodations requests, or to report a grievance please call the IITAP Office at Phone 480-575-6853.